Monday, April 9, 2012

The Late Dream

I've woken up for the day it seems.
I'll write in iambic and talk of dreams.
For I'd been asleep, then violently roused
By the various thoughts my mind had housed.
It was of course not the first time you see
This makes day three that I'll see the sun rise
Of this I'm certain, though I may be surprised
Please sandman, lay your magic dust o'er my eyes!
But to the purpose - the dream! This one dream.
Why was this dream unlike any other?
It runs through my mind as I lie under
Covers that're of no use to me, save warmth.
This dream felt premonitory in nature.
In it, I was a man of humble stature
Meeting with someone whom I'd not seen of late
I know what you're thinking, it wasn't a date!
The meal was delightful, our chat more so
Then I looked at my watch and said, Oh, I must go
I walked out the door and into the street
And remember looking down at both of my feet
As if I had somewhere to go next.
Then looked at my watch and became quite vexed
When it dawned on me within my dream
I was going to be late for rehearsal!
Why I'd booked my time so close is beyond me
Thus is the nature of dreams I suppose.
I rushed through the streets, my mind flashing back
To that morning when I had in fact
Had rehearsal with the same company
Then we broke for the day, so I left around 3
But I didn't see that a schedule was posted
For evening rehearsals for each of our scenes
And it was only out of a mere glimpse
Of remembrance, a tugging of mental
Seams, if you will, that drew me back to my
Origin. Fear led to many orisons.
I wondered how I had been so careless
That seemed very unlike me I would hope.
But in one's dreams all is possible - nope.
Well yes, but the possibilities are
Rarely ever yours to choose. The dream controls.
Is it your imagination that's in charge?
That brilliant aspect won't let me sleep now.
But I digress. The dream's not yet over.
I run through the streets at a full-on canter
And approached the door of the rehearsal room
At about 20:30, you'll read why
In a moment - and I looked at the schedule
And to my surprise I was called just then!
I was elated that by luck I had
Actually arrived on time for a rehearsal
Whose schedule I had no recollection
Of seeing! But was clearly there in front of me.
I reached for the door and my face then fell.
For on the schedule my name had been present
Earlier than the now listed time.
And an arrow had been drawn to the new
Location where I had just seen it first.
The previous time? 17:45.
A crushed mien. I was... unprofessional!
Should I go in and bite the bullet or,
As I stood with my hand on the door knob
And the clock ticked forward making me late
For this new time posted - oh indecision! -
Should I wait a bit longer... what for?
A miracle perhaps? I wasn't quite sure.
One of the cast members came outside, and
Seeing my visage all affrightened asked,
Why aren't you at the rehearsal in Brighton?
In Brighton?! 2 hours away by train.
I joke.
Look don't do that again.
Whoopsies!
Have rehearsals started for my scene?
Look really. You didn't have to be mean.
What is this? What is this? Your fault or mine
That I stand out of doors and out of my mind
It's your fault, but really you're not late
We're running behind; at this current rate
You won't be expected until around nine.
Oh joy! I could hug you you're so divine.
But what of the arrow preceding my name?
Oh it wasn't your fault, you aren't to blame.
Your other scene partner had a conflict
Don't worry, this director isn't that strict.
You've been rescheduled for tomorrow
Oh that's a relief! What time?
9 AM.
My celebration was brief. That's early.
Then the tone of the dream changed quite suddenly.
I was unsure if this was my conscious mind
But something within me stirred - I have class at 9!
What if I wake up and am late in real life?
I wouldn't be able to handle that strife.
I looked at the watch which said 8:45
If I was late I'd boil myself alive.
I woke up in a panic to a much darkened room
The clock said 12:40, but it wasn't past noon.
I had in fact slept for an hour and a half
And am now unable to sleep - what a laugh...
By the time of this posting, I will be
5 hours, 45 minutes early for class - lucky me.
Have you had dreams that seemed vivid and true?
And woken in panic or had tinged of blue
I hope that you knew just what to do
And not shared an insomniac's fate- goodnight to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment